What is Blue Jeans?
Blue Jeans* is a multi-party video conferencing and content sharing
service. With Blue Jeans, you can meet with up to 25 participants or
sites per meeting. Run entirely in the cloud, Blue Jeans works with PC and
Macintosh computers, iPhone, iPad, and other devices via a web browser.
You can even connect with in-room systems such as Polycom, Tanberg, or
Cisco. The service allows you to place video calls to colleagues and
collaborators around the globe.
How can Blue Jeans help with my work?
Other universities are using the service to:
- Distance Learning: Extending the classroom beyond the walls of a room to anyone who has access to the Internet.
- Guest Lectures: Using Blue Jeans, guest lecturers can use video to reach a classroom full of students from across the world, no matter which video platform they’re using.
- Virtual Office Hours: Students can join office hours from their browser or mobile device to ask questions, eliminating the requirement be at an on-campus location.
- Internal / External Collaboration: Share ideas and collaborate with faculty, staff, researchers, vendors, and more.
Trying Blue Jeans
- New Customers: Use your CalNet ID and passphrase to log in here or visit our registration steps page for detailed instructions.
- Pilot Program Participants: Existing UC Berkeley pilot participants can move to a CalNet authenticated account by logging in at ucberkeley.bluejeans.com. Clicking “Login” will migrate your account. Everything within Blue Jeans will be identical with two exceptions:
- Password Changes: You will no longer have the option to change your password. Since you are logging in via CalNet rather than thru Blue Jeans directly, there is no longer a password within Blue Jeans to change. Password changes will be made from within CalNet.
- To ensure authentication with CalNet, the email associated with your Blue Jeans account is restricted to your UC Berkeley email address.
Getting started with Blue Jeans is easy. You can find informational videos about scheduling meetings, joining meetings, and managing your meetings on the Blue Jeans website. You can also check out their support page, contact Blue Jeans Support online, or call 1-408-791-2830.
Training and Resources
Visit http://bluejeans.com/for/ucberkeley-and-bluejeans to sign up for live training, watch training videos, download guides, and FAQs from an extensive Knowledge Base. If you need department specific training, submit this request form.
Choosing a video conferencing service
Click here for a comparison of Blue Jeans and Ready Talk.
Use this form to submit your feedback and suggestions.
For questions or to resolve issues contact CSS-IT support at 510-664-9000, option 1 or use the online form.
To learn more about Blue Jeans video conferencing and content sharing service, see the Blue Jeans Overview page.
* Blue Jeans is geared toward video conferencing and not intended for audio only use.