What you need
- a laptop or other computer with a 802.11
wireless ethernet card (WiFi certified).
Your 802.11 card does NOT require any specific WEP capability. You will need to
install the card and the drivers on your computer. These instructions assume
that you have done this successfully.
- to know either your currently valid CalNetID and passphrase or a currently
valid guest account username and password
given to you by your Faculty or Staff sponsor.
- a SSL-enabled web browser (IE, Firefox, Safari etc.) on your computer.
- to be in an area with AirBears coverage. Click here for a list of covered areas.
- Set your computer to "Automatically Obtain an IP Address" via DHCP. For
instructions see the links on the campus DHCP service FAQ here.
- Set the "network name" (SSID) of your wireless card to be AirBears
(case sensitive). Your wireless card might automatically select a
wireless network; if AirBears is selected automatically, you can skip this step.
If another network is selected automatically, you will need to change your
network to AirBears before continuing.
- Turn OFF WEP or any other encryption or data scheme that might be
turned on by default. The AirBears service does NOT use encryption.
How To Login
- Startup your web browser and direct it to any webpage.
Your web browser will be redirected to the secure (https) AirBears login
page. Follow the instructions to login with your CalNetID and
passphrase. Guest account users should enter their guest account username and
By logging in and using the service you consent to the terms and
conditions of the AirBears service.
- If you enter your CalNetID and passphrase or guest account username and
password correctly, your web browser will be redirected to the original web page
- At this point you have been authenticated and will be able to use the
AirBears service to connect to the campus network and the Internet.
Note: AirBears is NOT encrypted. Traffic sent or received can be
intercepted by anyone connected to the wireless network. It it strongly advised
that you only use applications that provide end-to-end encryption. Please read
this Security advisory for more information.
You might check the Campus WiFi Knowledge Base
for commonly asked
questions and answers about the AirBears service.